Our Work Environment
Johnson & Johnson Inc. is truly a special place to work. Here in Canada, we make the most of our Small-company environment, big-company impact philosophy. Our small-company environment supports a fast paced, entrepreneurial, flexible and autonomous culture, while our big-company impact is driven by outstanding support and expertise from our corporate and global resources, the depth of our product portfolio and a clear and focused purpose, vision and mission.
Purpose — Bringing Science to the Art of Healthy Living
Vision — Trusted to enrich the health and wellness of every Canadian, every day
Mission — We will be the fastest growing consumer healthcare company in Canada through: inspired employees, collaboration and innovation, leveraging our unique brand portfolio and living our Credo values
We take great pride and work hard to create a values based culture that engages our employees and supports the personal and professional development of each and every employee.
Our responsibilities to our employees
Through our Credo, we are responsible to our employees and to ensure that we live these responsibilities and values through our workplace culture, policies and programs.
- Individuality — As a Johnson & Johnson Inc. employee, what makes you different is considered a strength. We value diversity and foster an inclusive culture that embraces our differences and drives innovation in all that we do.
- Security — Throughout our company, Johnson & Johnson Inc.’s values-based leadership allows and supports all employees to excel and succeed in achieving their personal career goals. This leadership and support helps to foster a deep sense of job security.
- Fair compensation — We at Johnson & Johnson Inc. place a high value on compensating our employees fairly, including benefits, health and wellness programs and clean and safe work environments for all.
- Work/life effectiveness — We recognize that our employees are members of their own families as much as they are part of the Johnson & Johnson Inc. family. We value the importance of family and the necessity of work/life effectiveness programs that allow for both professional and personal growth, enjoyment and wellness.
- Philanthropy and Sustainability — We have two passionate employee led groups that focus on the contributions we make to our communities through environmental campaigns and philanthropic initiatives.
- Open communication — Our work environment and culture encourages the open exchange of ideas, suggestions and complaints between employees, their managers and all levels of leadership at our company.
- Equal opportunities — We value the need for development and advancement and recognize that every employee is different and individuals must take the lead in defining opportunities that advance their careers. All of our employees are encouraged to make the most of opportunities that help them achieve their personal career goals.
- Values-based leadership — Our ability to acquire, develop and retain values-based leaders is a legacy that has contributed to our consistently strong performance. Values-based leaders demonstrate and inspire in others ethical awareness, ethical reasoning and ethical actions. Our leaders are not only responsible for this occurring, they are also held accountable for the consequences of their organizations’ actions to help ensure that we continue to uphold the legacy of trust we have earned over many years. This process ensures decisions are based on common values.
Work/life effectiveness: optimizing work, family and personal life
Without a doubt, the quest to optimize work, family and personal demands is challenging in today’s super-charged world. At Johnson & Johnson Inc. we strive to provide the tools that support all of our employees to help them achieve their personal work/life effectiveness goals.
Several flexible solutions are offered through our WorkLife ByDesign Programs:
- Compressed work schedule — extended workdays can lead to partial or full days off during a normal workweek.
- Flex program — generally, our employees are able to adopt flexible start and finish times so that family obligations can be as stress-free as possible.
- Flexible work arrangements — some employees take advantage of having more control over where and when they work while still meeting requirements and business targets.
In most cases, our employees work with their managers to create arrangements, temporary or long-term, that help them balance their personal and professional responsibilities. When maintaining this balance becomes challenging, human resources will endeavour to find a reasonable (and often creative) solution with the employee.
Innovation at Johnson & Johnson Inc.
The ability to unleash innovation is a core capability of all employees at Johnson & Johnson Inc. in order to maintain our competitiveness and build beloved brands. We support innovation through leadership alignment, success metrics, communication and rewards and recognition, skill development and tools. We leverage innovation and process excellence tools, including a proprietary innovation framework, Six Sigma, Lean and Design for Six Sigma. Our employees enroll in training so that they can capitalize on opportunities to improve or develop new products, processes and services — ultimately delivering value to our customers.